Wednesday 12 March 2014

Nethra turns one :) ...Fresh cream cake for her!

Our neighbours are a sweet bunch.A young couple with a most adorable lil daughter.
Nethra,she is such a naughty bundle of joy. Very effortlessly breaks into a smile ..a toothless grin[now sprouting 2 bunny teeth] and is always spreading joy.
Each stage of the little angel takes me back into the baby times of my little ones,and I am constantly advising the young mommy about the dos and donts :) ..I can be a bit of a nag ;)
We couldnt believe how fast a year zipped past ..Nethra turned one,yesterday.
Her parents were getting a cake for her ,for sure...I planned on baking one for her,from our side :)
I baked the cake .It was a nice moist and yummy chocolate cake[recipe from Joy of Baking],then I suddenly decided to frost and pipe flowerrs on it ...
I have never done that before,so after many many arguments with myself,i decided I would go ahead.
The cake had to bear a lot of "goof-ups" during the decoration ..but did stand strong till the cake cutting :) Am so glad it did...
 The cake was a big hit and that made me smileeee :D

This chocolate cake was a simple recipe from Joy of baking .
The recipe calls for ,1 and 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup sugar[I powdered it ]
1/4th cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 th tsp baking soda
1/3 cup melted butter[recipe calls for unsalted butter,but I used Amul butter and skipped the salt]
1/4 tsp sal
1 tbsp lemon juice[or vinegar]
1 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method
Preheat oven 177 degrees C
Stir together the flour, sugar, sifted cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Add the melted butter, water, lemon juice, and vanilla essence.Mix well with a slotted spoon or fork.Pour into a greased baking tin.
Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

I filled the cake after dividing it into two horizontally ,with cream and mixed fruits.
I crumb coated the caked with buttercream [1 cup butter and 3/4 cup icing sugar beaten till fluffy and light ,with vanilla essence]
The flowers and writings are from whipped cream 1 cup and 2 tbsp of castor sugar and vanilla essence 
.

No comments: